Woven Geotextile Fabric FAQs
Woven Geotextile Fabric Questions
Find the answers to your questions about woven vs. nonwoven geotextile fabrics here! We offer a wide assortment of woven geotextile fabrics for sale by the roll and in bulk quantities. In addition to providing top quality customer service, we'll work with you to make sure that you have the materials on site, on-time and within your budget. Read more about woven geotextiles—what it is, when to use it, different types, and manufactured products we offer using woven geotextile.
1. What is geotextile fabric?
Geotextiles are flexible fabrics, normally made from polypropylene based materials for durability. Depending on the style and type, they have different degrees of strength and permeability (how quickly water passes through the fabric).
2. What are the differences between woven vs nonwoven geotextile fabric?
Each geotextile type has its benefits and uses, depending on project requirements for strength, durability, and drainage. As the names indicate, the basic difference between the two lies not in how the geotextiles function, but rather in how they're manufactured. Woven geotextiles are woven with industrial looms in a consistently applied pattern for strength and drainage. Nonwoven geotextiles are most commonly manufactured with what's called a "needle-punch" process, using barbed needles to create a felt-like permeable geotextile fabric. For assistance in determining the type of geotextile fabric that fits your project's requirements, see: Geotextile Selection Guide.
3. How does woven geotextile function and how is it used?
The type of woven geotextile needed for a job is determined by a number of factors that affect how the woven filter functions on a jobsite. For example, for locations that will place a greater amount of pressure or stress on the fabric (whether through weight load or weather factors), fabric with a greater grab strength will be best. For locations that are low-lying or are exposed to a large volume of water to process quickly, woven filter fabrics with larger weave openings are likely best. With proper application and installation, woven geotextile extends the use-life of roadways and other projects.
Common uses for woven geotextile fabric include:
|Rip Rap Support
For additional information, please see our Geotextile Fabric Comparison.
4. What do the different measurements for woven geotextiles mean?
These are the common classifications used in the specifications for woven geotextile fabrics:
- Grab Tensile Strength and Elongation: Indicate the breaking load of the fabric.
- Weight: The number of ounces per square yard.
- Trapezoidal Tear Strength & CBR Puncture Resistance: Are two different methods of measurements of the strength of the fabric while under tension.
- Permittivity & Permeability: Are both means of measuring the rate of water flow of the through the fabric.
- AOS (Apparent Opening Size): Fabrics with a higher percentage of open area experience less clogging. The larger the openings are in the weave pattern, the faster the woven filter fabric can drain.
5. What does the number in the name of the woven geotextile type mean?
Woven geotextiles are generally categorized by their grab tensile strength rating. For example, Woven 150 indicates woven filter fabric with a grab tensile strength of 150 pounds.
6. What are the different woven filter geotextile types?
Listed below are the most commonly requested woven filter fabrics. Select the woven filter fabric to match the specs of your project. However, we have other woven geotextile fabrics for sale as well. If you need assistance, just ask. We're here to help.
7. Are your woven geotextiles pH stabilized? Will they withstand exposure to sunlight?
Yes, we have pH stabilized and UV stabilized geotextile fabrics for sale. When you call for pricing please be sure to share the requirements of your project and the way that you plan to use the woven geotextile fabric with us. This will help us make sure we're providing you with the right fabric for your project.
8. Do woven geotextile fabrics come in different roll sizes?
Each geotextile type has different properties, including the choice available roll sizes. Please check the specifications for the fabric type that you're considering, or contact us for assistance.
9. Do you have a minimum order requirement for woven geotextiles?
GEI Works offers woven geotextiles for sale with no minimum quantities. You can order one roll or many!
10. Do you sell woven geotextile fabric rolls in bulk?
Yes! We have woven geotextile fabric for sale at bulk pricing. Contact us and we will provide an estimate based on the number of rolls you are ordering.
11. How much does a roll of woven geotextiles cost? How much is shipping?
We offer reasonable prices on our woven geotextile fabrics for sale. For pricing questions, please submit a form request or contact our product specialist. They can also help answer any shipping questions related to cost or timeframes.
12. What GEI Works products are made from woven geotextile fabric?
We offer a variety of products for home and construction projects that utilize woven geotextiles. We also offer custom-manufacturing solutions and will work with you to accommodate your project's specifications. Standard products we offer that utilize woven geotextile filter fabric include silt fencing, mud rumbler, storm drain filters, and other construction BMPs.
13. What is the cost for woven geotextiles?
For pricing information, please contact us with the type and amount of woven geotextile you need for your project. Call the GEI Works team at 1-772-646-0597 or fill out our quote request form to discuss your requirements.