Planting for Coir Fibers
Coir Fibers and Erosion Control Plants
When using any of our coconut coir fibers, some of the most frequently asked questions involve how the products are sold and how they can be used with vegetation. Below we have a gathered some of our most frequently asked questions involving vegetation and coir products. If you have a question that you do not see below, please do not hesitate to contact us at +1-772-646-0597.
|1. Do your products come pre-seeded?||Answer|
|2. What plants work best with coir?||Answer|
|3. How do you seed with your products?||Answer|
|4. How long do your products last?||Answer|
|5. How does vegetation work with the product as it biodegrades?||Answer|
No, we currently do not offer any erosion control products that are pre-seeded. You can, however, certainly use any of our products with vegetation, plugs, and seeds.
One of the main reasons our coir logs, wattles, and blankets do not come pre-seeded is due to the fact that native vegetation will usually work best in a given location. Native vegetation will vary depending on the location, temperature, and erosion requirements. Using natural/native vegetation can offer any of the following advantages:
- Natural to Your Area
- Proven to Thrive and Survive
- Blends into Surroundings and the Environment
- Quickly Takes Root
- Establishes Growth Fast
- Recognizable to Surrounding Wildlife
Seeding and vegetation methods will vary greatly depending on your location, slope, and which coir product you are using. In general, seeding is most commonly used in conjunction with coir logs or coir matting.
Coir Logs: When seeding with coir logs, there are a couple of different methods customers will deploy in order to adequately stabilize their location. This may include seeding directly into the logs or seeding in the areas immediately around the logs. If seeding into logs, plant plugs are usually installed directly into the logs. If seeding around logs, plants are usually installed immediately upslope of the logs to help stabilize the location and prevent erosion control.
Coir Mats: Coir mats are available in two standard styles:
- Open Weave: Open weave mats, also referred to as coir netting, are some of the easiest mats to seed. These mats feature an open weave design that makes it easier to install plants, whether before or after installation of the coir mat. Open weave mats also make it easier to use plugs or other larger vegetation.
- Coconut Coir Mats with Netting: This style of mat features coconut coir fibers that aresurrounded with a polypropylene or jute netting. Planting with these mats is usually done prior to installation of the mat.This allows the plants to grow through the material. While the mats can be cut slightly to insert plants, any cuts made to the mat will decrease the strength and structural stabilization of the mat.
The standard life span of a coir product will range anywhere from 2 to 5 years depending on the location and demands placed on the product. For example, areas with higher flows and water contact may increase the rate.
A majority of our coir products feature completely natural and biodegradable materials. This means that they do not harm surrounding plants and wildlife. As the product biodegrades, it will blend in and enrich the surrounding soil. One advantage of the coir products is their extended life span. This gives any vegetation you plant enough time to fully take root before the product completely biodegrades.
If you have any additional questions, please contact our GEI Works product specialists at +1-772-646-0597.
Another great customer service job by the GEI Works tech team!