Oil Fence to Stop Oil Flow
Do you have an Oil Containment Fence?
Question regarding Oil fence: I have you heard of something called an oil containment fence? I am told it is a product that can be used to stop oil flow that is sub-surface. Do you know about this product?
Answer: Thank you for contacting GEI Works with your inquiry. I do know about oil containment fence and I'd be happy to tell you about it. It is a great tool for oil spill response, especially for wetlands, marshes and bayous. This fence boom for oil containment is made from durable PVC coated fabric with top cable acting as a tension member to secure it to the posts anchored in calm and shallow water conditions.
From here, the oil containment fence boom is installed to anchor point and stakes spaced according to your site specifications. (In general, we typically recommend hard anchor points every 100, 200 or 300 feet and stakes spaced every 20 ft) It is simple to install, compact and easy to transport, stands up to both UV rays/heat and cold temperatures, and meets ASTM Standards.
Containment Fence Specifications:
- Length: 100, 200, or 300 foot
- Height: 2' 6" (other options are available)
- Fabric: 22 oz standard (others are available)
- Primary Color: yellow, orange preferred (others as available)
- Top Tension Cable: 1/4 galv. steel wire standard (optional 5/16")
- Bottom Ballast Chain: 1/4 galv. chain standard (optional 5/16")
- Fabric connections: See options (pictures)
- Shackle: For cable to top cable connection OR For ballast to bottom ballast chain connection.
For further help in stopping an oil flow, we also recommend the use of a combined oil boom and oil containment fence. This setup places an oil fence to separate clean water from contaminated oil-laced water.
One the outside of the fence touching the oil, an absorbent boom is placed. This helps to absorb oil as it is hitting the fence. This helps to further stop oil and prevent spreading.
More information on this procedure can be found in our Containment Fence Flyer (PDF).