Nutrient Loading and Stormwater Runoff
Whether you are working on a construction site, farm or a landscaping project, it is important to
help prevent pollution caused by water runoff and nutrient loading.
Nutrient loading is an increase in pollutants due to human activity, such as construction and landscaping. The main causes of nutrient loading are stormwater runoff and fertilizer runoff.
Water runoff occurs when rain or snowmelt isnt absorbed into the ground and flows towards channels, rivers and the ocean. The runoff picks up pollutants such as fertilizer, pesticides, sediment as well as natural debris like timber, grass, leave, etc. There are different kinds of runoffs such as agricultural, storm water, surface water and fertilizer runoff. Stormwater runoff carries silt, pollutants and debris which can cause soil erosion, water contamination and the disruption of aquatic life. The fertilizer runoff produces algae blooms and increases the growth of invasive aquatic plants. Learn more on our debris boom page.
Stormwater BMP Products
Having best management practices or Stormwater BMPs in place is crucial to preventing pollution at the source, which can be the beginning of a river, farm or project site. It is important to control both point and nonpoint pollution in order to decrease the effects of nutrient loading downstream.
Point source pollution refers to pollutants or site discharge that can be pointed to a single source.
Nonpoint source pollution comes from multiple sources over a wide area. Nonpoint source pollution is also known as diffuse pollution and is often associated with particular land uses in urban development, forestry and agriculture.
GEI Works has multiple Stormwater Control Products to help not only the environment, but also keep you in compliance with local and national regulations.
- Be sure to view our Stormwater Control Guide to see suggested stormwater BMPs, so you can best prevent water pollution and help your construction site stay in compliance.
- Taurus Filtration by GEI Works offer stormwater control products to ensure job ensure job site complience such as curb filters, ditch checks, and storm drain guards.
Erosion Control Products
- Help prevent erosion with erosion control mats, coir logs, coir blocks and more erosion control products.
- Triton Turbidity Curtains by GEI Works are used as barriers to prevent the spread of turbidty and control silt in water.
- To contain debris such as leaves, grass, and timber, visit our debris boom page.
- Has nutrient loading already caused algae blooms or invasive plant growth? Control aquatic weeds and algae to protect your shoreline with Orion Aquatic Plant Boom.
- Containment liners are a reliable choice to help contain spills or water runoff. They can be used in ponds, lagoons, job sites and more.