Nonwoven Geotextiles - FAQs
Answers to Nonwoven Geotextile Questions
Curious to find out more about non woven geotextile fabric? You've come to the right place! Find answers to your questions about nonwoven permeable geotextile fabrics here. We provide top quality geotextile fabrics and customer service, as well as on-time delivery. Geotextile fabrics are available by the roll, and GEI Works also manufactures products using nonwoven geotextiles as well. A few of those products include:
Read more below about nonwoven geotextile fabrics functions, differences between woven geotextile vs non woven, and more info about relevant products GEI Works carries that use nonwoven geo fabric.
1. What is geotextile fabric?
Geotextiles are flexible fabrics, normally made from polypropylene based materials for durability. Depending on the style and type, they have different degrees of permeability (how quickly water passes through the fabric). They are also considered filter fabrics for drainage.
2. What are the different geotextile types and what are the differences between them (Woven vs. nonwoven)?
Geotextiles are classified as either woven or nonwoven. As the names indicate, the basic difference between the two is how they're manufactured. Nonwoven geotextiles are manufactured with a needle-punch process, using barbed needles to create a felt-like permeable geotextile fabric. Due in part to the random pattern used in their manufacture, nonwoven geotextiles have greater strength than woven fabric. Woven geotextiles are woven with industrial looms in a consistently applied pattern. The two geotextile types have their own benefits and uses, depending on project requirements for strength, durability, and drainage. For assistance in determining the type of filter fabric for the drainage requirements of your project, see: Geotextile selection guide.
3. What is nonwoven geotextile fabric?
Nonwoven geotextile fabrics are a type of synthetic permeable geotextile fabric created by needle-punching the fibers during manufacture. It is easily recognized by its felt-like appearance and texture. While it has many uses, non woven geotextiles are most commonly used for filtration or separation in construction and erosion control projects.
4. How does non woven geotextile function and how is it used?
Since they are permeable, nonwoven geotextiles are often used as filter fabrics for drainage in construction or erosion control projects. These geotextiles function well also in separating layers in construction and paving projects, under playgrounds, and more. Overlay for asphalt projects is also a popular use, as it expands the use-life of pavement. Other geotextile functional uses include:
Landscape Fabric & Weed Barrier
Rip Rap Underlay
5. What do the different measurements for nonwoven geotextiles mean?
These are the common classifications used in the specifications for nonwoven geotextile fabrics:
- Weight: The number of ounces per square yard.
- Grab Tensile Strength and Elongation: Indicate the breaking load of the fabric.
- Trapezoidal Tear Strength & CBR Puncture Resistance: Are two different methods of measurements of the strength of the fabric while under tension.
- Permittivity & Permeability: are both means of measuring the rate of water flow of the through the fabric.
- AOS (Apparent Opening Size): Fabrics with a higher percentage of open area experience less clogging.
6. What do the different fabric weights for nonwoven geotextiles mean?
Nonwoven geotextiles are generally categorized as light weight, medium weight, and heavy weight, as an indication of the thickness of the fabric, strength, and drainage capabilities. For example, light weight nonwoven geotextile fabric is more permeable and has high flow through rates. However, it isn't as rugged as heavier weight fabric. Heavy weight non woven geotextile fabric has a slower drainage rate, but greater strength and provides increased support for soil stabilization. For additional information, please see: Geotextile Fabric Comparison.
7. What are considered light-weight nonwoven geotextiles and when would you use them?
Lightweight non woven permeable geotextile fabrics range from 3 ounces to 5 ounces. They offer high flow through rates, and are best used for projects that need to facilitate a high volume of drainage. Light weight non-woven geotextiles are available in these fabric weights:
8. What are considered medium-weight nonwoven geotextiles and when would you use them?
Medium weight non woven permeable geotextile fabrics range from 6 ounces to 8 ounces. They offer medium flow through rates, and are higher in strength and durability than their lightweight fabric counterparts, making them one of the most popularly requested all-purpose options. Use them for filtration, soil stabilization, aggregate separation, and erosion control. Medium weight non-woven geotextiles are available in these fabric weights:
9. What are heavy-weight non-woven geotextiles and when would you use them?
Heavy weight non woven permeable geotextile fabrics range from 10 ounces to 20 ounces, and offer the maximum amount of strength and soil stabilization. Use for projects such as: rip rap, high aggregate separation, filtration, and road stabilization. Heavy weight non-woven geotextiles are available in these fabric weights:
10. Are your non-woven geotextiles pH stabilized? Will they withstand exposure to sunlight?
Yes, we carry pH stabilized and UV stabilized geotextile fabrics. Please be sure to share the requirements of your project and the way that you plan to use the nonwoven geotextile fabric with us. This will help us make sure we're providing you with the right fabric for your project.
11. What are my choices in roll sizes for non-woven geotextiles?
Each weight of fabric has different properties, including the choice of roll sizes available. Please check the specifications for the specific fabric that you're considering, or contact us for assistance.
12. Do you have a minimum order requirement for nonwoven geotextiles?
Our minimum order is one roll. Order as few or as many as you need!
13. Do you sell non woven geotextile fabric rolls in bulk?
Yes! We do offer the fabric in bulk, and can work with you for a bulk rate depending on your order quantity. Contact us for details.
14. Do you manufacture pre-made products with non-woven geotextile fabric?
We offer a variety of products for filtration with nonwoven permeable geotextiles. We also offer custom-manufacturing solutions and will work with you to accommodate your project's specifications. Standard products we offer that utilize non-woven geotextile fabric include: dewatering socks, tubes, and bags, ditch check, stormwater bmps, and permeable turbidity curtain.
15. What is the pricing for nonwoven geotextiles?
For pricing information, please contact us with the type and amount of geotextile you need for your project. Call the GEI Works team at 1-772-646-0597 or fill out our quote request form to discuss your requirements.