River Bank Protection
Products to Help with Riverbank Protection
River Bank Erosion can occur along any bank or shoreline where water is constantly washing up and causing soil to erode. In order to properly protect your banks, Granite Environmental offers several products that can line banks, shorelines or hills to stabilize soil and prevent the further deterioration of materials.
Natural Eco Friendly Riverbank Protection
One of the most environmentally safe methods for protecting river banks is through the use of natural, biodegradable products. Designed from materials that will naturally degrade over time, these products stabilize soil and reinforce areas until vegetation is able to take root. Typical products include:
Check out our Erosion Control Products or give our team a call at
+1-772-646-0597 or check out
7 simple water pollution solutions.
While many of these products are made from a biodegradable coconut coir material, their uses and applications will often vary. Below you will find the most common options used for river bank protection. If you are not sure which option will work best for your location, please feel to give our team a call at +1-772-646-0597 .
- Erosion Control Mats: One of the most common applications for shoreline stabilization are erosion control coir mats. Made with an open weave design, these mats support vegetative growth both before and after the mat has been implemented.
- Coir Logs: Another common stabilization option for banks is the coconut coir log. Large in diameter, these logs are able to support banks and help establish vegetation. Coir logs are available in standard diameters of either 12", 16", or 20".
How Natural Fibers Help with River Bank Stabilization
Natural Fibers work along banks by providing a stabilization method that is strong, but also natural to the surrounding environment. Due to the constant exposure of products to water and erosion elements, the most commonly used fiber is the coconut coir material. Unlike straw or wood, coir fibers are robust in nature and equipped to last a period of 4-6 years. This provides an increased period of stabilization, while still biodegrading into the surrounding area.
Natural Fiber Advantages
Some of the best advantages of using these natural fiber products along river banks have included the following:
- No Harm to Fish or Surrounding Wildlife
- Available Products Capable of Handling Flows up to 16 fps
- All Natural and Biodegradable
- Longer Term (4 to 6 years) or Short Term (12 month) Applications
- Equipped to Stabilize Banks
- Helps Establish Vegetation Along a Bank or Shoreline
In addition to river bank protection, there are also several natural products that can aid in silt control either along the side of rivers or streams or in the middle for use as a check dam.
In addition to the natural fiber materials, we also offer several goetextiles that can help with stabilization, separation, and erosion control applications along river banks. This include both woven and nonwoven options to help with different erosion control needs.
- Woven Geotextiles: Perfect for stabilization and separation in areas needing high strength materials.
- Nonwoven Geotextiles: Ideal for drainage or filtering applications. Products typically have a high permittivity rate for these kinds of erosion control needs.
What Makes Geotextiles Effective For Erosion Control?
The six functions of geotextiles all play a roll in river bank protection.
Some other methods of river bank protection are timber piling, timber decking, and alder pole piling. While these can be effective, the wood can warp and rot making more work for you in the end.
The make-up and functions of geotextiles take the work out of your hands and puts it into nature's.