Oil Booms for Spill Response
Oil Containment Booms and Oil Absorbent Booms
Oil Booms are one of the most efficient options for containment and oil spill cleanup. Floating oil booms are available in calm water, fast water, or open water models, to contain oil spills and prevent further spreading. Oil absorbent booms can be placed around a spill to absorb oil on land or in water. Whether you are looking to contain a large spill, small excess oil in your marina or for emergency oi spill response, we have an oil spill product that can meet your needs.
Standard Oil Spill Containment Booms
Calm Water Booms
Fast Water Booms
Open Water Booms
Oil Containment Booms & Oil Fence Boom
Oil Absorbent Boom
Not sure which oil boom you need?
We can help!
Call our team at
toll free: 888-703-9889, or request more information.
Floating Oil Boom Accessories
- Anchor Kits
- Painter Rope
- Marker Lights
- Tow Bridles
- Tidal Compensators
For more information, check out our Boom Accessories.
|Request a Quote||
If you have questions about any of our oil booms, give us a call at +1-772-646-0597 or toll free at (+1) 888.703.9889 or request a price quote.
Learn More about Kraken Oil Spill Booms
Our most commonly used Oil Containment Boom is are standard boom available in Calm Water, Moving Water and Fast Water models. These oil spill barriers are robust in nature and well equipped for extended exposure to marine conditions.
- Top Flotation
- Impermeable PVC
- Bottom Ballast Chain
- Side Connectors (moving and fast water models)
- Top Tension Cable (moving and fast water models)
Typical length for all booms is a short 6", 12", 16", 20" or 24" depth. For areas with underwater requirements, we also offer spill containment boom models with an extended skirt to control below the surface of the water. Oil absorbent products can also be used with containment booms and oil spill barriers for the most effective spill response efforts. Deployment Facts
Oil Absorbent Booms
Absorbent Booms are an alternative containment option for any site needing to both contain and absorb oil. Absorbent Oil Booms are most frequently used in calm water areas, marinas, or industrial facilities looking to target and remove hydrocarbons.
Absorbent Boom Options:
- Standard Boom (great for marinas, harbors, bays and docking areas)
- Spaghetti Boom (perfect for areas with thick or fast moving water)
|Request a Quote||
If you have questions about any of our oil spill barriers, give us a call at +1-772-646-0597 or toll free at (+1) 888.703.9889 or request a price quote.
How to handle an oil spill depends on different factors like type of the oil spilled, location, weather, time of day, manpower available and equipment at hand. Boom Deployment Types:
- Spill Containment Boom: Containment oil boom deployment is a common tactic for areas with a mild current or moving water conditions. This type of deployment requires the boom to be installed around the spill area and perpendicular to where the spill is located. Booms are intended to completely contain the spill area and prevent further spreading.
- Deflection Boom: Deflection deployment refers to booms which are placed along side spills to deflect oil to the desired cleanup locations. This type of deployment is common in areas where there are strong currents and where complete containment of the spill is not possible.
- Exclusion Boom: Exclusion boom deployment occurs when booms are placed around a particular area to protect oil from flowing into that spot. This type of deployment is intended to block or protect certain areas (sensitive spots such as marsh lands, intakes or shores) from contamination
Read More about Floating Boom Deployment
For oil containment and recovery after an oil spill to be successful, there are some key challenges that must first be overcome. The drifting floating oil must be located and the equipment deployed in an effective arrangement. The sea state and weather conditions must be sufficiently calm to permit the selected equipment and oil booms to function well and for the response personnel to safely operate the equipment. The oil must also be in a state that is amenable for recovering using the available skimmers. Where the environment conditions and response factors allow, containment and recovery can the most efficient and beneficial strategy.
Due to the environmental effects oil spills can have on birds and marine mammals, have a containment boom and plan in place is often essential for quick spill response.
For birds, oil penetrates and and opens up the plumage, reducing is insulating ability and make birds more vulnerable to temperature fluctuations. Exposure can also impair flight ability of birds, making it difficult or impossible for them to escape their predators. Most birds affected by an oil spill will die unless there is human intervention.
Marine mammals exposed to oil spills are affected in similar ways as seabirds. Oil coats the fur of sea otters and seals, reducing its insulation abilities and leading to body temperature fluctuations and hypothermia. Ingestion of the oil causes dehydration and impaired digestion.
View All Containment Products
Check out our blog post: Toxic Spills: The Right Products Can be a Big Help.